EL040: How to Deliver a Powerful Message, with World Champion of Public Speaking, Dananjaya Hettiarachchi
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you have a chance, I would really appreciate your feedback on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking on iTunes greatly! Meanwhile, enjoy the show!
“Before I figure out, ‘what’s my content?’ I ask myself, ‘What’s my message?’”– Dananjaya Hettiarachchii
Dananjaya Hettiarachchi is the World Champion of Public Speaking – 2014 conferred by Toastmasters International. He’s also been a Tedx Speaker and is amongst a handful of HRD consultants in the Asia-Pacific region that specializes in Performance Prediction. He also holds an MBA in Business Administration and a Bachelor’s Degree with a Double Major in Marketing and Management, Australia. He is a Chartered Marketer and holds a professional Diploma from the Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK. Having been worried about the direction that his life was heading, Dananjaya’s father introduced him to a Toastmasters club which both introduced him to the wonders of public speaking, as well as introducing him to people he would never have otherwise known. This changed his life by giving him confidence and changing his thinking and how he approached life. In today’s show we hear about Dananjaya’s winning speech, why everybody should try a bit of public speaking and he gives us some tips on crafting and delivering a great speech.
We all have to do a bit of public speaking at some point. For some people this can be a daunting task, but according to Dananjaya Hetiarachchi it is something that everybody should be doing a bit of. Learning public speaking skills is something that helps everyone, from giving you confidence to teaching you about communication with one to millions of people. In today’s show, we hear how public speaking changed world champion speaker, Dananjaya Hetiarachchi’s life and can change yours as well.
“This year was the first year that I decided, I’m not going to compete, I`m going to step on stage to give a great message. And that’s the year I won the contest.” – Dananjaya Hettiarachchi
If you prefer to watch the discussion in action, here is my recorded interview with Dananjaya Hettiarachchi (please refresh your browser a few times if it isn’t loaded properly the first time):
In this interview you’ll learn:
- 01’44” – Dananjaya’s background and how he got into public speaking
- 03’50” – How public speaking enhanced Dananjaya’s life
- 06’45” – Dananjaya’s inspirational quote
- 08’45” – Dananjaya’s tips on how to prepare for public speaking
- 10’40” – Why the first 8 seconds are the most important
- 13’40” – About Dananjaya’s championship winning speech – “I See Something”
- 16’40” – Dananjaya’s strategies for crafting a great speech
- 24’12” – What Dananjaya gets out of helping people with public speaking
- 27’25” – The relevance of public speaking to someone who doesn’t intend to be a speaker
- 29’55” – Dananjaya’s tips on getting over the fear of speaking in public
- 34’09” – Dananjaya’s current projects and plans for the future
Is there any question you have regarding the podcast guest that is not addressed in this blog post? Please leave me a comment below or send me your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would really appreciate your feedback, your suggestion on future guests, or just an opportunity to chat with you!